Orange County Public Works - Combined Heat and Power Plant Manager
Santa Ana, CA
The Central Utility Facility (CUF) Combined Heat and Power Plant Manager is responsible for all aspects of the CUF both operational and administrative. This position’s day-to-day leadership is critical to the successful operation of the CUF, which provides essential electrical and thermal utility services on a continuous 24/7/365 basis to various County, City, State, and Federal Buildings in the Civic Center area, including the Central Justice Center, Hall of Administration, and County Jails. Additionally, the manager will be responsible for working with the facilities operation team on utility billing, regulatory reporting, budget, long-term strategic planning and to oversee repair and improvement projects related to the CUF. The incumbent will be required to interface with stakeholders who include CUF customer buildings, other County departments, senior County officials, members of various regulatory compliance agencies such as the California Air Resources Board, South Coast Air Quality Management District and the Regional Water Quality Control Board to ensure the CUF meets current and future environmental regulatory compliance requirements.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will possess 7 years of experience and the following competencies:
- Public works knowledge specific to a central utility plant operations and management as evidenced by prior experience. Including thorough knowledge of: Central Utility plant operations and management (steam and chilled water).
- Principles and operations of a microgrid - gas turbine/electrical cogeneration plant. Principles of high-pressure steam boilers, large tonnage centrifugal refrigeration units, absorption chillers, closed water systems, large water cooling towers, electrical distribution and large steam turbines.
- Principles of electrical, mechanical, plumbing systems. Principals of Supervisory Data Acquisition Systems, metering and associated equipment.
- Regulatory compliance related to CUF and power generation and sales.
- Principles of Governmental purchasing. Principles of central plant fiscal management, budgetary preparation and control
- Principles and methods of management including scheduling, training, evaluating and disciplining a large staff of subordinates including supervisors, operators and maintenance personnel. Rules and regulations required for plant operations (e.g.; hazardous materials, waste water treatment, life safety systems, etc.). Contract administration.
- Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering degree or equivalent experience in operating field
- Certified Energy Manager
DESIRABLE CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES
- Steam Operator's License for high-pressure steam boilers with a Turbine Endorsement
- HVAC Certification
- Certified Measurement and Verification Professional
For more information and to apply, please visit our OC Careers page at ocgov.com/jobs