Joining Forces is an ongoing effort launched by First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden that calls on all Americans to ensure that military service members, veterans and their families have the tools they need to succeed by:
- Bringing attention to the unique needs and strength of America’s military families
- Inspiring, educating, and sparking action from all sectors of society to ensure veterans and military families have the opportunities, resources, and support they have earned
- Showcasing the skills, experience, and dedication of America’s veterans and military spouses to strengthen our nation’s communities
- Encouraging greater connections between the American public and the military
The Department of Energy (DOE) wants to help veterans take advantage of these energy industry trends and create a pipeline of available veteran talent across the industry.
In November 2014, DOE and Joining Forces in collaboration with energy industry trade associations and energy companies, launched an effort to gather commitments to hire and train veterans and spouses into “All of the Above” energy jobs in support of the mission of Joining Forces. This effort is modeled after similar efforts in the construction and logistics industries. This 5-month initiative seeks to secure veterans and military spouses hiring and training commitments across all energy-related businesses, culminating in a White House announcement in April, 2015. Commitments will be voluntary.
The International District Energy Association (IDEA) urges our member companies and institutions to support this important initiative, and hosted a one-hour webinar on this topic Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:00 pm EDT (New York, GMT-04:00) with officials from the Department of Energy and the Office of the First Lady.
- Mike Baskin, Veteran Talent Lead, DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE)
- John Smegal, Workforce Development Lead, Advanced Manufacturing Office, US Department of Energy
- Colonel Steve Parker, Executive Director, Joining Forces, Office of the First Lady
- Moderator: Rob Thornton, President & CEO, IDEA
- VIDEO RECORDING of the presentation
- Presentation: Supporting District Energy Engagement and the Veterans Community
- Veterans Free Employment Resources (2 pages)
- U.S. Department of Labor Veteran Employment and Training Service information
- Selected Resources for Recruiting & Retaining Veterans and Military Spouses
- Veterans Employment Center Fact Sheet
- Committing to America’s Veterans and Military Families