IN DEPTH: Closing the Loop on Organic waste in British Columbia

By District Energy posted 06-01-2018 15:57

  

Ben Messenger, Waste Management World

Dutch firm WTT was the turn key technology provider for the facility and was responsible for the delivery and installation of all biological process equipment and the entire odour abatement system. Image ©

Summary

A new fully integrated closed loop organic waste facility featuring dry anaerobic digestion and in-vessel composting has opened its doors in Surrey, British Columbia.

Owned by the City of Surrey, the facility has been established via a Public-Private Partnership with UK based Renewi. Under the deal, the Government of Canada put up 25% of the $68 million cost of the plant and Renewi, which will operate the facility for the next 25 years, the remaining 75%.

Officially opened on 9 March this year, the City claims it to be the largest such closed loop organic waste plant operating in Canada. It will convert kerbside organic waste into renewable biofuel to fuel the City’s fleet of natural gas powered waste collection and service vehicles. Excess fuel will go to the new district energy system that heats and cools Surrey’s City Centre.

Full Article

Continue Reading


#News
#Surrey
#BritishColumbia
#Canada
#NorthAmerica
#Biofuel
#WastetoEnergy
#DistrictHeating
#DistrictCooling
#RenewableEnergy
0 comments
4 views

Permalink