Peter Caulfield, Journal of Commerce
Seven contractors have won 2019 Silver Awards of Excellence from the Vancouver Regional Construction Association (VRCA) for their parts in the Simon Fraser University (SFU) Sustainable Energy Engineering Building (SE3P).
The winners are:
- Bird Construction Group (General Contractors — Over $50 Million);
- Alliance Scientific Inc. (Trade Contractors — $2 Million to $4 Million [Founder’s Trade Award]);
- Surespan Structures Ltd. (Trade Contractors — $2 Million to $4 Million [Founder’s Trade Award]);
- Glastech Glazing Contractors Ltd. (Trade Contractors — Over $4 Million [Director’s Trade Award]);
- Syber Concrete Forming Ltd. (Trade Contractors — Over $4 Million [Director’s Trade Award]);
- Division 15 Mechanical Ltd. (Mechanical Contractors — Over $9 Million); and
- Canem Systems Ltd. (Electrical Contractors — $2 to $8 Million).
SE3P, which was opened to students in September 2019, is located near SFU’s Surrey Centre campus. It was designed by noted Vancouver architect Bing Thom, and delivered by Revery Architecture (formerly Bing Thom Architects).
The building, which is targeting LEED Gold, will be heated by Surrey’s district energy system.