Senior Product Manager - Central Utility Plant Optimization
Manages the analysis for either a large product line or group of products by garnering feedback from product sales, marketing, and customers to understand market dynamics. Works closely with the development team to ensure product specifications meet customer demands. University degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. 10 Years suggested minimum experience.
What you will do
The future is being built today, and Johnson Controls is making that future more productive, more secure, and more sustainable. OpenBlue Digital Products is an entrepreneurial team working with customers at the leading edge to use technology to drive decarbonization in commercial buildings. These offerings are currently delivered through edge- and cloud-based applications within the OpenBlue product ecosystem.
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager who will own and execute the roadmap for optimization software solutions to create energy efficient, grid-interactive commercial buildings and distributed energy resources. You will have complete product management responsibilities for OpenBlue digital software applications focused on autonomous building optimization supervisory control. As the lead customer advocate, you will lead a cross-functional team responsible for product offering development, engineering, sales, marketing, operations, and customer success.
How you will do it
- Lead evolution of the objectives/key results and product roadmap based on customer feedback, market analysis, competitive research, and strategic priorities
- Conducts customer development interviews to test hypotheses around customer problems, what product to build, and why. Partners with global sales, customer success, marketing, user experience, and peer product managers to gather and prioritize product needs
- Communicates product vision, product-market fit metrics, risks, and key decisions to senior leadership
- Crafts program incremental (PI) plans to prioritize epics, features, non-functional requirements, and quality metrics in collaboration with software engineering, data science, SRE, & cybersecurity teams
- Develops product positioning to communicate our unique value proposition. Leads content development for product marketing collateral and technical literature.
- Trains sales teams, implementation teams, and customer end users to enable adoption
- Participates in scoping, solution design, and customer presentations for strategic sales opportunities
- Develops and manages product budget to meet P&L targets
- Leads pricing strategy and owns cost estimating and customer business case modeling tools
- Develops build/buy/partner recommendations and detailed business case analysis
- Delivers thought-leadership presentations at customer and industry events
What we look for
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business or a related field, MS/MBA is highly desirable.
- 10+ years of experience in product management, sales, and/or energy savings project development.
- Strategic communicator with sales experience and comfortable presenting at both the C-level and to highly technical audience (chief engineers, consulting engineers, building operators).
- Strong listening and customer development skills to uncover unmet needs, struggles, and use cases
- Deep understanding of smart building technology, distributed energy resources (DERs), HVAC systems including central utility plants, building automation systems, energy savings measurement and verification methods, and demand response programs
- Ability to use your professional network of relationships with real estate and sustainability leaders responsible for energy management in commercial buildings
- Demonstrated experience leading matrix-teams without formal reporting. Strong consensus building, conflict resolution, and persuasive skills
- Agility, curiosity, self-directed learning, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to build a product vision and strategy through an iterative process of creating minimum viable products for market-back validated learning (build>measure>learn)
- Experience creating customer value, pricing, and business plan models for SaaS products
- Ability to define functional needs of complex applications and programs with clarity of end outcomes, acceptance criteria, dependencies, and prioritization
- Strong collaboration with a global team of product managers, engineering leads and architects who are well-versed with cloud and IOT-based applications
- Passion for scaled agile framework (SAFe), lean startup methods, and product lifecycle management
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel when required
Where legally permissible, if hired, candidate is required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 no later than his/her start date, unless candidate has a valid medical condition or sincerely held religious belief precluding he/she from receiving the vaccine.
Complete job description and how to apply –