Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
The Department of Facilities’ Central Utilities Plant (CUP) seeks a maintenance supervisor to organize and supervise the maintenance staff for the CUP. Will assign mechanics, electricians, and instrumentation and control personnel to planned work packages; assign personnel directly in the event of emergent, critical work; consult with engineers and manufacturers’ representatives regarding design or procedural changes for improved efficiency and reliability of all power plant equipment; supervise contractors; assist CUP engineers and planner; and ensure all safety and environmental compliance requirements are followed.
· At least five years’ maintenance experience in a power plant or other industrial facility of similar size/complexity to the MIT CUP
· Broad knowledge of power plant equipment, controls, and systems
· Demonstrated knowledge of boiler and turbine controls and related mechanical equipment
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· B.S. in engineering
· One year of supervisory experience in a union environment
· Experience leading the maintenance of co-generation units, industrial boilers, large mechanical chillers, and gas turbines
· Experience using computerized maintenance management system (CMMS), preferably SAP
Physical requirements: lifting weights of up to 50 pounds; working on feet for up to twelve-hour periods; ascending stairs and ladders climbing; wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) (e.g. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves, and high voltage protective equipment, etc.).
Working conditions: extreme variations in noise levels and temperatures/spaces, including exposure to outside environmental conditions with temperatures below 32 or above 100 degrees for more than one hour; proximity to mechanical parts and electrical current; and exposure to high heat or chemicals.
Must be available during planned and unplanned outages and respond to maintenance-related plant emergencies, as needed, on a 24/7 basis.
Interested candidates may apply online at https://hr.mit.edu/careers.
Please reference job number 21979.
MIT is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and strongly encourage applications from individuals from all identities and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive equitable consideration for employment based on their experience and qualifications, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. MIT’s full policy on Nondiscrimination can be found here.