Dr. Valdas Lukoševičius, Euroheat & Power
12 June marked the 80th anniversary of the first district heating system launched in Lithuania. It is a great opportunity to look back and review the development of Lithuanian DH sector. To assess achievement and confidence in the new challenges facing the country’s heat economy. To remember where we were 80 years ago and reflect on where we are heading.
District heating (DH) in Lithuania traces its history back to June 1939 when this energy technology was put into service in the largest interwar construction project finished in Lithuania at the time – the building complex of the Vytautas Magnus University Medical Campus (Clinics) in Kaunas, designed by French architect Urbain Cassan together with his colleague Elie Ouchanoff.
On 12 June 1939, Pranas Drąsutis, the representative of the Energy Committee of the Republic of Lithuania, announced at the meeting of the Construction Commission of the Vytautas Magnus University Clinics that boilers in the newly built boiler-house of the Clinics were tested at the trial load and found ready to supply steam and hot water. The then modern boiler-house had three water-tube drum-type steam boilers with moving grates made by Gebrüder Wagner Dampfkesselfabrik und Feuerungsbau. The boiler-house generated thermal energy for heating , hot domestic water and process steam for laundry, disinfection chambers, kitchen facilities, sterilisers used in operating rooms, etc. The boiler-house and the equipment installed therein, as well as a 75 m brick chimney, were designed by engineer Jonas Jasiukaitis and engineers from German company J.S. Fries Sohn. Construction works were carried out mainly by Lithuanian companies and their employees. Today, one of the first boilers can still be seen in the boiler-house.